Mental Health Shelter
Mental Health America Shelter Ministry (serving the homeless population of Lafayette)
913 Columbia Street, Lafayette, IN
Brief Description of Ministry Activity
Utilizing the opportunity to provide meals at the Mental Health America Shelter in downtown Lafayette, we seek to develop relationships with clients served by the Day Shelter. Specifically, we serve 4 meals a month prepared by members and friends of Faith Church. During these and additional times, we engage clients in conversation and make them aware of opportunities at Faith Church and Faith Ministries. Transportation to regular services and special events is also provided for clients.
Length of Time for Commitment and Ministry Activity
Volunteers assist in providing a portion of one meal on a monthly basis. This will involve the time required for food preparation and about 1 hour at the shelter serving the meal and visiting with clients.
Opportunities to Serve:
- Food preparation and delivery to Day Shelter
- Mingling with clients during mealtime
- Visitation during non-mealtimes to engage clients in conversation
To establish relationships with the homeless population served by Mental Health America in Lafayette through assisting with their physical needs in order to gain opportunities to meet spiritual needs (I Cor 5:20).
- Provide relief to a commonly marginalized segment of our community
- Engage members of Faith Church in ministry to the homeless in our community
- Build credibility with mental health providers in Lafayette to enable them to see the ability of Faith Ministries to address important needs of their constituents
- Serve as encouragers to the staff at the Day Shelter
Key Personnel and Contact Information:
- Craig and Sue Svensson (coordinator)
- Tim and Leslie Peoples
- Markus Schafer