Supporting the Greater Lafayette United Way
- Having carefully reviewed the agencies and programs of the Greater Lafayette United Way, we believe that endorsing and, in a modest manner, supporting the annual campaign is an extension of our church’s community outreach mission.
- While many members of Faith are able to participate in the United Way through workplace giving, we understand that most small businesses in our area do not have a workplace program in place. If individuals desire to support the United Way campaign they may contribute through Faith.
What is the Greater Lafayette United Way?
The United Way is a not-for-profit organization that helps to mobilize our community to meet needs and improve lives. It adds value to our community by enabling people to help one another. The UW provides leadership by defining local education, income, and health needs, and in coordinating resources to address these vital community issues.
How does United Way accomplish their mission?
Each fall, our local UW raises funds to support specific programs at 26 separate not-for-profit agencies including the Red Cross, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Family Services, Food Finders Food Bank, Legal Aid, Meals on Wheels, and the Boys & Girls Club. Contrary to ‘urban legend,’ the United Way does not support programs that are in direct conflict to the sanctity of life.
Why would the UW need our support?
There is tremendous need right now in our area. The past few years, the UW has struggled to reach their goal of funding programs in the 26 agencies they partner with. Many of these agencies rely heavily on the financial support that is given by the United Way.
Why does Faith want to help the United Way?
Matthew 5 tells us to ‘Let your light so shine among men that they (people in your community) may see your good works and in turn glorify your God who is in heaven.’ In Titus 3:14, Paul writes; ‘Our people must also learn to engage in good deeds, to meet pressing needs, so that they will not be unfruitful.’ God’s Word directs us to identify needs and engage in good deeds. The needs that are so tremendous in our town are also an opportunity to be involved in giving and participating.
What’s the fund drive going to look like for us?
Our pastors and deacons have requested that Faith be a United Way Campaign Pacesetter. That means we will have a three-pronged approach to supporting the opening phase of this fall’s community campaign.
- Our Faith employees have been encouraged to contribute from each paycheck through payroll deduction. This will be a voluntary, modest contribution at a suggested amount of $1 to $2 per paycheck.
- Sunday, August 25, our pastors will speak to our ministry family about the United Way campaign. For those who do not have the opportunity through their workplace to contribute to UW, we will assist them by collecting (tax-deductible) donated funds and giving 100% of those funds to the Greater Lafayette United Way beginning August 28.
- As part of our community outreach budget, Faith’s deacons and pastors have voted to provide a small offering to the United Way.
Is it common for churches to support the United Way?
Currently, local churches in our community do not support the work of the UW with direct contributions. That’s too bad; since believers are called to meet pressing needs where we live and thereby glorify God. It is our hope that by our example, other ministries will be encouraged to get involved.